[Sticky] Login Error: INVALID_LOGIN: Invalid username, password, security token or user locked out
I keep getting the following error when trying to login to PeopleImport:
INVALID_LOGIN: Invalid username, password, security token or user locked out
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, can you help?
The problem is, in fact, invalid login information being sent to the Salesforce API. Any of the following could result in this error:
1. Typing an incorrect username and password
- Make sure Caps lock is off, there are NO SPACES after the username, and that it is not just a simple typo.
- If a token is required to login (see #3 below) ensure that it is the most recent token. Anytime a password is changed in Salesforce, a new token is also automatically generated.
2. Entering production login info when attempting to access the sandbox or vice versa.
- Click the "proxy settings" button in the upper right hand portion of the login screen to see if the custom endpoint is populated and "Use Custom Endpoint" is checked (denoting accessing a sandbox).
- When accessing production the "Use Custom Endpoint" should be unchecked.
- Confirm the correct username and password (production vs. sandbox) is being entered. If a token is needed (see #3 below) make sure the correct token is entered (they are different in production vs. sandbox).
- Confirm the correct endpoint is being used. See this solution for logging into a Sandbox: Using PeopleImport on a Salesforce sandbox
3. A Security Token is required to access Salesforce via the API from locations outside of your company's Trusted Network.
- Search for "security token" in Salesforce's "Help & Training" link for more information on security tokens.
- Here is some basic info:
- To request a token go to set-up->my personal info->reset my security token. Salesforce.com will email you a token. Once you have the token, simply append it to the end of your Salesforce pwd when logging into DemandTools or PeopleImport (no space between the password and token).
- To add your IP address to the trusted list, go to set-up->administration set-up->security controls->network access. Adding your IP address to this list will make it so you do not need the security token when logging in from this location.
- If you don't know what your IP address is, either check your login history, or click on the following website www.ipchicken.com .
- Here is some basic info:
4. Your user record in Salesforce has been locked due to too many unsuccessful login attempts.
- If this is the case, you will need to contact another admin within your organization to unlock your user record.
5. You are attempting to login to a sandbox that was just created/refreshed.
- Per Salesforce Support this error can happen when a sandbox was recently activated but the backend hasn’t completed processing. It could take 24 hours to fully complete the sandbox update. Logins to the Salesforce Data Loader with the same credentials will also fail, confirming the issue is not a DemandTools/PeopleImport Setting of some kind, but rather the Sandbox is not ready to accept the login.
- Wait 24hrs then try the login again.
***Note*** Passwords for DemandTools & PeopleImport are controlled by Salesforce as users login with their Salesforce credentials. All password resets must be done via Salesforce. New tokens are also generated by Salesforce anytime the password is reset.
Olivia M.J. Hinkle
Product Adoption Manager